Our First-Ever Composition Contest...
...is here! We're all very excited to announce Lux's first venture into composition contests, and we can't wait to see your submissions! Open to choral composers of all ages, the winner of this contest will have their piece premiered in our Winter 2020-2021 season, which will run through December and parts of January. For more information, read below, or contact [email protected] with any further questions.
TEXTS & THEMES
A cappella submissions of all divisions and difficulty will be considered, but remember that all ensembles have limits! Lux is very used to anything from four to nine parts, but is capable of more splits as necessary. All participants are encouraged explore the links to concert programs, recordings, and videos to give you an idea of what we love singing. You'll also find the general ranges for each of our sections in four parts below.
The winner will receive...
HOW TO SUBMIT
Fill out this form! Below is a list of what we'll need from you:
The Fine Print
Below are the Terms & Conditions that apply to every composer who submits a score to enter the aforementioned Composition Contest run by Lux Choir, Inc. ("Lux"). These terms and conditions work in conjunction with additional information and guidance contained on this webpage. By submitting your composition, you agree to the terms and conditions below, and throughout this webpage.
- All submissions must be original works. They cannot have been performed in public or have been recorded for commercial or public use. For clarity, a public performance includes a broadcast, webcast, or online stream.
- Only one submission per participant is allowed. If multiple entries in one category are received, we will only accept the first submission.
- Once submitted, all entries are final and may not be withdrawn.
- Participants under 18 must provide contact details for a parent or legal guardian who will be required to complete the application form so that the composition can be entered.
- Lux reserves the right in their absolute discretion to make substitutions if any of the judges are unable to participate.
- The judges reserve the right to withhold prizes should the entries not be of a sufficiently high standard.
- The judges' decision is final, and no correspondence will be entered into regarding the judges' decision.
- Lux reserves the right to withhold parts of or all of the prize, or to select another winner, should the winner be unavailable after reasonable attempts to contact them.
- Copyright in the winning composition will remain with the composer. Participants agree to allow the use of their composition within the competition without charge as is necessary for the purposes of the Composition Contest. For clarity, this includes the duplication of their copyright material for circulation to judges and to the singers that perform the work. It also includes any broadcasts or webcasts of these performances.
- Lux reserves the right to perform the winning composition in future concerts without any additional music hire costs. All local performance royalties will be paid as standard.
- Participants warrant that their work will not infringe the rights of any third party and that the participant owns the composition in full.
- Lux accepts no responsibility for any costs or expenses incurred by the winners, their guests, or parents/guardians in connection with claiming any prize won in the competition (including travel to and from any event). The winner and parents/guardians of the winner are responsible for paying any taxes, duties, and other levies on prize winnings if applicable.
- Participants in the Composition Contest agree to reasonable requests in respect of associated publicity (photographs, interviews, broadcasts).
- Lux reserves the right to cancel or adapt the competition at any point.
- The Terms & Conditions of the Composition Contest are subject to the laws of the United States and the State of Maryland.