Like what you hear? Buy your album below or donate today to support our next project.
Click here for press information.
Lead, Kindly Light (Pre-Order)
***This item is currently only available for pre-order, as it has not yet been released. Be among the first to hear this disc!***
Pre-order the most exciting Lux release to date! Recorded in collaboration with one of the world's most performed composers, Paul Mealor, this album features some of his most beloved works amongst nine unrecorded pieces, including four world premieres. Described as ‘the most important composer to have emerged in Welsh choral music since William Mathias’ (New York Times) and his music is ‘marked by something outside of himself that is beautifully spatial and evocative of landscape… it illuminates both our past and our future’ (The Guardian).
These pieces, new and old, are marked with a deep emotional significance and warmth with which Mealor's listeners have become familiar; especially so with the title track, written in memory of a dear friend of the composer.
Location of Recording: St. Jerome's Catholic Church (Hyattsville, MD)
Estimated Run Time: 1 hr, 5 min
- Track List (in alphabetical order):Ave Verum Corpus
- O Beata Trinitas
- God So Loved the World
- I am the Still Rain Falling
- i carry your heart
- Lead, Kindly Light
- Lead Me, Lord
- O Lord, Make Thy Servant Elizabeth
- Matin Responsory
- Now Sleeps the Crimson Petal
- Lady, When I Behold The Roses Sprouting
- Upon a Bank
- A Spotless Rose
- See Amid the Winter's Snow
- She Walks in Beauty
- Silent Night
- Te Lucis Ante Terminum
The Town Lay Hushed
"This is a wonderful holiday gift, beautiful music by Lux. Congratulations [to them] on this labor of love!"
"This CD will be a wonderful addition to our holiday music."
Over the last five years, Lux has built our reputation performing contemporary and modern choral music. It’s a world of music that we as a group are incredibly passionate about and very much enjoy performing. The relationships we build and interactions we’ve had with living composers as we perform their music are second to none. With The Town Lay Hushed, though, we wanted to explore something new, which is to say, something old.
- Hodie Christus natus est, Jan Pieterszoon Sweelinck
- A Spotless Rose, Herbert Howells
- Legend (The Crown of Roses), Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky
- O magnum mysterium, Tomás Luis de Victoria
- Ehre sei Gott in der Höhe, Felix Mendelssohn
- The Truth Sent From Above, Ralph Vaughan Williams
- Quem vidistis, pastores?, Andrea Gabrieli
- Lulla, Lullaby, William Byrd
- Ave Maria, Anton Bruckner
- Ave Maria, Rebecca Clarke
- O virgo virginum, Josquin des Prez
- O Little Town of Bethlehem, Thomas Tallis
- Virga Jesse, Anton Bruckner
- Coventry Carol, Anonymous
- Nyne otpushchayeshi, Sergei Rachmaninoff
My Lord Has Come
Awarded the Wammie Award for 'Best Choral Album', Lux's first Christmas release, My Lord Has Come features some of our own favorite Christmas songs and arrangements for choir, including beautiful, gushing settings of well-known carols, as well as more traditional choral pieces which have become standards of the Christmas choral repertoire. Blending the known and lesser known choral pieces that we've come to love into one release; using simple arrangements of classic hymns next to more dense arrangements of classic melodies like Rathbone's "Silent Night", and finally including other Christmas anthems which might be less familiar, like Howells's "Sing Lullaby" or Pärt's "O Weisheit".
- O Weisheit, Arvo Pärt
- O Adonai, Arvo Pärt
- There Is No Rose , Jonathan Lane
- O Nata Lux de Lumine, Thomas Tallis
- Silent Night [Live], arr. Jonathan Rathbone
- There Is A Flower, John Rutter
- Maria durch ein Dornwald ging, arr. Stefan Claas
- Ave Maria (Angelus Domini) [Live], Franz Biebl
- Es ist ein Ros entsprungen, Michael Praetorious
- Coventry Carol, arr. Ola Gjeilo
- My Lord Has Come, arr. Will Todd
- I Wonder As I Wander, arr. Andrew Carter
- In The Bleak Midwinter, Gustav Holst
- Sing Lullaby, Herbert Howells
- O Magnum Mysterium, Brian A. Schmidt
- O Magnum Mysterium, Morten Lauridsen
Now Ye Heavenly Powers
A Featured Album on YourClassical MPR, our second album, Now Ye Heavenly Powers represents the best of the Lux's favorite repertoire over the 2017-2018 seasons, shedding light on many new and familiar composers, established and growing, as well as a few long-standing favorites of the choral repertoire. Aside from their prowess as a mixed ensemble, this album features works for just tenors and basses, as well as for sopranos and altos. Lux puts their versatility on display in their second release, featuring works from Bruckner, to Whitacre, to Dave Matthews, and more.
- A Spotless Rose (Paul Mealor)
- The Heart's Reflection (Daniel Elder)
- Crucifixus (Antonio Lotti)
- Gravedigger (Dave Matthews, arr. Timothy Takach)
- Let My Love Be Heard (Jake Runestad)
- Prayer of the Children (Kurt Bestor, arr. Andrea Clouse)
- Silence (Kevin Memley)
- A Boy and a Girl (Eric Whitacre)
- Famine Song (VIDA, arr. Matthew Culloton)
- Alleluia (Eric Whitacre)
- Song for Athene (John Tavener)
- Now Ye Heavenly Powers (Aleksandr Sheremetev)
- Christus Factus Est (Anton Bruckner)
Hear our album recordings available on your favorite streaming services!
See videos from our YouTube channel ranging from live concert videos to studio recordings, and including videos from our virtual programming during the COVID pandemic.